Sunday, October 4, 2009

First Quarter Outside Reading Book

First Quarter Outside Reading Book Review
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson. Fine Creative Media Inc. 2005.
Novel Genre: Adventure

Treasure Island is a story of greedy pirates, lust for treasure and sheds light on some of the inner community of piracy. The storyline is narrated by a an adolescent by the name of Jim Hawkins and shows descriptively throughout the book how a young boy in the 18th century would retell an epic adventure. Set in England, Jim finds a map in an old pirate’s room and is convinced it is a treasure map. He and two other men are set on finding the treasure, but are set up for failure from the very beginning.
Angus Fletcher writes;” The unexpected and complex relationship that develops between Silver and Jim helps transform what seems at first to be a simple, rip-roaring adventure story into a deeply moving study of a boy’s growth into manhood, as he learns hard lessons about friendship, loyalty, courage, and honor- and the uncertain meaning of good and evil.” I like how Fletcher describes some of the deepest parts of Treasure Island and am astounded by how he writes this, as it seems very much so like the writing of Stevenson’s’ but in a much modern form. Fletcher picks the bowels of this book and completely puts them in a view that describes the troubles in Treasure Island.
Treasure Island is written like it should be, in a descriptive old English and is perfect for the description of many of the events throughout the book. Stevenson writes like a boy would, describing much almost in a poetic manner and shows certain emotions like fear and independence as I expect Jim would have. Stevenson shows the adventure a teenage boy would have and flows very well throughout the book, even at its roughest parts the book still shines.
“It was Silver’s voice, and before I had heard a dozen words, I would not have shown myself for all the world, but lay there, trembling and listening, in the extreme of fear and curiosity, for from these dozen words I understood that the lives of all the honest men aboard depended on me alone.” (75)
As I read Stevenson’s Treasure Island I was infatuated by its style of description. Being written in the 1800s, it is easy to see how such a book can still be read for centuries to come, as it contains a flow some have only dreamed of writing and its descriptions are amazing, containing some of the best writing I have ever seen. I will certainly look to see if Stevenson has written any other books and give them a shot at reading them.

3 comments:

  1. Dimitri seemed to enjoy reading this book. He seems to like the way it was written and enjoyed how the story is told. Dimitri noticed that the book's author used lots of description. He though it contained some of the best writing he has seen. Dimitri chose a suspensful passage to share, because it is a very descriptive and intriguing passage. I have read the book before, it is a very interesting and exciting book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. It seemed as if Dimitri enjoyed this book because it was told very well
    2. He liked how the author described everything in great detail which made it a very good book.
    3. He chose a very 'on your seat passage' which made me want to read the book.
    4. Since this book sounded like it was very good, I want to read this book now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I think that Dimitri's overall impression of this book was that he really enjoyed it. I thought this mostly from reading the conclusion sentence. Dimitri says how he will be looking for books by the same author so he must have enjoyed the authors writing style.

    2. Dimitri talks about how the book is very descriptive and has good descriptions. Also, Dimitri says that the book is written like it's by a boy which I think is important because the narrator is a young boy so it fits.

    3. Dimitri picked an interesting passage from his book and describes how the author has a way of "flowing" through his writing, I thought the passage he picked was very interesting.

    4. I would not consider reading this book because I personally don't enjoy reading classics and books. I like books that are more current and about issues that I can closely relate to. But for someone who likes classic adventure books this seems like a great pick.

    Good job Dimitri! and i know you miss sitting next to me in a.e.

    ReplyDelete